I still can’t believe that 2017 will be over in a few days! I’ve been constantly hearing myself say that the past years went by fast, but 2017 is like soooo high in adrenaline; everything seems to pass by incredibly faster this year. Honestly, I can’t keep up sometimes.
I can still remember my last year’s yearend post (How can I forget? I only have a handful of posts this year. Hehehe!). I was truly happy last year, and very positive and welcoming of this year. Heck, I even claimed that 2017 is going to be “my year”. However, things did not go as planned, and challenges became more grueling. And although all the positivity I have for this year may have been challenged greatly, one thing still remains – I will still end 2017 with a grateful heart, even though tough times become tougher.
For this year, I would opt to list down, and share the things I learned, instead of the usual run down of the things I am grateful for. After all, these lessons are one of the many things I am thankful for.
- Make time for things that truly matter. Time is more often than not our enemy. One of our most abused excuse or alibi is that we do not have time. I, myself, is not an exemption. But later on I realized that you cannot really make up for the lost time. So whatever it is that is hindering you from doing the things that really matter, before hearing yourself say “wala akong time”, find ways first where you can fit in on your plate all the things you need to do. If all the things needed to be done cannot be accomplished all at the same time/day, then evaluate what’s more important, then drop or reschedule the other things. If necessary, remove on your list the trivial things since they also eat up your time.
- Prioritize health and family. Put your health and your family your top most priority. Never take for granted these two if you do not want to be filled with regrets later on.
- Never stop learning and never get tired of chasing your dreams. Don’t stop learning just because you already have a degree, nor make “landing a job” your end-goal. There are a lot of things we can explore and learn. Find your passion and pursue it. Continue working on your dreams no matter how impossible you think they are. One day you will wake up, and you will realize that you are already turning your dreams into reality.
- Avoid comparing yourself to other people. Sometimes it is hard not to compare especially if you feel that the people around you, or the people you look up to seem to have everything they want in every aspect of their life. But do not let yourself be swamped with envy. Transform your envy into something positive instead. Make them as your inspiration, and not a measure of your own success.
- Be grateful with whatever you have. Appreciate even the little things. Blessings come in different forms: they can be big or small. Count them, and you will realize that you are richly blessed. Blessed than what you deserve. 🙂
- Things you worked hard for, and planned for will not always be given to you, and that’s okay. I have my own share of misfortunes this year. I got to be honest that those made me upset, but there’s no point in dwelling on it. Life goes on, and onwards we shall go. 🙂 Not getting what I want does not mean it is already over for me. I still have a lot of time, and I could try out new opportunities. Maybe it is not yet my time for those dreams, or there are better plans for me. Just trust God’s timing and plan. 🙂
- Challenges are a given. Prove life that you are stronger than whatever it throws at you. Whatever difficulty or trial you are facing, do not be discouraged. Keep on fighting, and moving forward. Fall 7 times, stand up 8.
- Take a rest. Because you deserve it. Do not exhaust yourself, and do not let yourself reach the so-called burnout phase.
- Take your time. There’s no need to hurry. Do not pressure yourself to conform to <insert whatever or whoever>’s standards. Enjoy your own timing. You are never too young nor too old for the things you are ready for, or the things that make you happy.
- Discover what calms your storm. With days passing by so fast comes a whirlwind of emotions, and sometimes, our emotions can get too overwhelming. Learn to take a step back, pause and reflect. Learn what can calm you, and whenever you feel like your going to flip, do your own magic. Never let stress gets the best of you.
2017, you are one of the toughest years I had, but in a few days we will bid our goodbyes. I will leave all the negativity behind, but I will surely bring with me these lessons you taught me. There’s no turning back in hello-ing 2018 with a whole new level of positivity.
Let me end this post by wishing you all a joyous, healthy, flourishing, and amazing 2018!